Here's yet another simple, healthy and amazingly delicious pumpkin recipe! My obsession with all things pumpkin continues. However, pumpkin has some incredible benefits, so without further ado, here is my....
Top 10 List of Pumpkin Perks:
- Pumpkin is incredibly high in Vitamin A (a one-cup serving has over 200% daily value)
- Pumpkin is very low in calories (only 80 calories per cup)
- Pumpkin contains anti-oxidants.
- Pumpkin is a good source of B-complex vitamins.
- Pumpkin puree and pumpkin seeds contain lots of fiber (over 7g per cup of pumpkin).
- Pumpkin is a rich source of minerals such as calcium, copper, phosphorus and potassium.
- Pumpkin is a perfect post-workout food. One cup of pumpkin has more potassium than a banana!
- Pumpkin can be substituted for fats such as butter or oil in many recipes (just as in my pumpkin pancake recipe).
- Pumpkin reminds me of Halloween and Thanksgiving! Happy memories is definitely a perk.
- There is a huge selection of pumpkin recipes, from soups, stews and pastas, to desserts, muffins, breads and cakes. They are all delicious!
Perfect Pumpkin Spice Protein Pancakes
Ingredients:1 scoop vanilla protein powder (I use Syntha-6 vanilla ice cream)
1/4 cup pumpkin puree
1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
Directions:Beat egg in small bowl with fork. Add pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie spice and stir until thoroughly mixed. Pour in protein powder and stir until smooth.
Meanwhile preheat pan over medium heat. Spray with cooking spray, or melt a bit of butter or coconut oil. Pour batter into pan. Cook until bubbles appear on the top and the bottom is set. Flip and cook about 1 minute more. Enjoy!
Serve with your choice of toppings: pure maple syrup, brown sugar, chopped pecans, Craisins, cream cheese, apple butter - use your imagination!
Nutritional Facts (per MyFitnessPal):
- 290 calories
- 11g fat
- 21g carbs
- 29g protein
- 155% daily value Vitamin A